LETTER TO MY MUM




Dear Grace,
First of all, thank you for holding the fort whilst we (your children and husband) were away working, schooling or travelling. On 7th July 2017, you were not in the fort when we rushed in. You had fought your life’s battle and it was ended. Only your two framed pictures in the hall reminded me of you. I could only glimpse your lifeless body the next day. I was sad, I almost cried. You have only left me with memories. 

I remember a lot of things you did with us. You were our teacher, I remember the multiplication tables David and I had to learn. You were my confidante, you knew all my female friends. You could almost put a face to all their names. You were a defiant fighter too, those who crossed you saw that too well. You gave me a template of how a wife should be and I remember praying to God asking for a woman like you for a wife. I remember how you once stood behind the door shouting “Kojo oye, kojo oye” (Kojo, it is ok) when my dad was lashing David and I for misbehaving. Once, you and I stayed up the whole night waiting for my dad to come home. Everyone slept and you and I stayed up. Eventually I slept too, and woke up only when my dad came. You would ask me what we should eat on a particular day, given the amount of money you had. I remember you saying clearly that you appreciated my dad for taking care of your kids, that you would not be sad even if he does nothing else apart from that.

I remember my graduation and how you wanted to tie your cloth to my gown so everyone would know I was your son. Forgive me that I found it awkward. I remember your presence in my in-laws homes when we went to ask to marry their daughter. I remember how you moved heaven and earth to make sure David’s research essay was marked and accepted so he could graduate. I remember your pictures at Mercy’s graduation. I wasn’t there, but I saw those pictures and the pride in your eyes. I remember how you spent your whole day on Legon campus so Lizzy could find accommodation.

There are many things I remember of you. Your joy on my wedding day and at El-Nathan’s naming. I still remember how you shout “Mo kun” (my husband) when my dad came home. I remember your constant complaints of how I was not calling you often. I remember when I asked how you were doing some weeks ago, you answered “Dza Nyame dze me b3y3 biara oye” (whatever the Lord would do with me is good enough). I remember talking to you when Trigga visited.

Grace you were a kind-hearted woman. I’m not saying this to paint a good picture of you to anyone, but because that is the truth. The people who have stayed with us, and who came into contact with you can attest to this. How you welcomed our friends into our home and housed them, how you interacted with people who stayed with us, shows your kind-heartedness. You were noisy too. When you entered a place, people instantly knew you were there. Hosanna Church members can attest to this. I am very sure when I say you were an upright woman. You were not perfect, but you were as close to perfect as you could be.

Sadly, I remember December 2004 not because it was the first time I voted, but because you had an operation after the elections to remove a growing goiter lump. Since that operation, you have battled death every single day for the past 13 years. I remember how you had to move constantly to hospitals and prayer camps, and ultimately to Agona Swedru for a while before you came back in a stable condition. Thankfully in those 13 years your daughters have grown and graduated from University and you have seen your grandson. I wish you were alive to see even more.

The images I have seen of you lately have been enough to break me. To see you lying down on a cold floor lifeless, sharing space with countless faces whom you have never known in this life has broken me but I have not cried yet. I have lost you. Sadly now I miss you. We miss you. 

Fare thee well Grace. Wherever you are, just know that we miss you greatly. Hopefully, one day, we will meet on the right hand of our maker. Good bye Grace.

Your son,
Sammy.

PS: I ate 4 pieces of the poki in the fridge the day you left us. I think I have paid for them. 
And yes, your shop, we will run it. The only thing that shop will miss will be you.
Your husband is fine. Only that he talks a lot these days. I think it's because he misses you

Comments

  1. All is well bro. The Lord shall always be our comforter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May the Lord see you and your family through this though time, i known how painful it is right now. Just us He gave me and my family the strength to move on some years back, He will surely do the same for u. My deepest condolence to you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww this brought tears to my eyes.. so sad Harrison. God knows best and His timings are never wrong.
    It is well mate

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. God is His own interpreter and surely He will lead us all to a peaceful end bro.
    May old lady continue to rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maa Grace has fought the fight, she has run the race. Now there is laid up for her the crown of glory. My condolence to you & the family Harry.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

OF GYMS AND MARRIED WOMEN

YOU & CO

TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED!